Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Quick catch up and its time to go!

Hey Everyone! So its the night before and I'm going to play a little catch up! This blog post will include my symptoms a week before surgery, what to expect from pre-op and all of the wonderful blessings I have received!

Here is my symptom update from a week before the surgery:

-Out of breath easily from walking and running
-Tiredness after days of exertion
-Heart Palpitations
-General exhaustion
-Extreme anxiety mixed with some calmness

I made sure to do as much as I could during the week and a half before!  Being outgoing and wishing to defy my leaking valve I did all of my exams, sang in two concerts and continued to go to class and stay involved as much as I could.  Of course, my body decided to laugh at me by making me sick, but I made it through with the help of many wonderful friends, professors and family.  As the weekend before approached I had a chance to begin the relaxation process and enjoy the Christmas cheer.

 Since my surgery has been set for tomorrow (Thursday) I spent the entire first part of the week enjoying myself.  On Monday a very kind and anonymous member of Team Katherine provided me the opportunity to have a full body massage (which was WONDERFUL). It was a great chance to de-stress before the big day.  Then for Tuesday lots of fun was in store.  My dad and I went shopping for a diamond necklace to show off my scar after this entire ordeal is done.  After finding nothing in our meager price range we decided to just get a pair of cute pajamas instead and go out to eat with the rest of the family that night in order to celebrate our last meal together before pre-op. Little did I know what surprise was lurking! As dessert was brought out, my creme brulee turned into a Tiffany Box!!!  My parents had secretly purchased a necklace of the highest brand in order to show off my scar.  It was such a surprise and quite a waterworks show, but a very special night.


Soooo... the Pre-Op

We arrived in Atlanta at 10:00 and began the Pre-op process.  I had a wonderful nurse who laughed with me the entire way through.  We got there, checked in and met with the anesthesiologist PA.  She explained what kind of medicine we were using and how the whole process would go.  Then the surgeon PA came and explained their process.  A nurse later came in to do an EKG for the Surgeon and the anesthesiologist.  After the EKG they drew some blood and asked for a urine sample.  Finally it was time for the chest x-ray and we ended with any last questions.  They gave me some wipes to bring back to our hotel to prep for surgery and also instructed that I use the mouthwash and nose ointment still (I have been using those for three days).


So now its 10:35 and my heart surgery is scheduled for 8:30.  I'm scared as anything, but ready to get this show on the road! Tomorrow my mom and dad will be posting updates on the surgery through this blog! What a great Team Katherine I have behind me!

See y'all on the other side!
Katherine




No comments:

Post a Comment